A dental hygienist is here to professionally clean your teeth, ensuring that your mouth is healthy, free from tartar and that it feels fresh and clean.
Unfortunately, no matter how well you look after your teeth at home, plaque will gradually build up each day. This build-up can’t be removed with a toothbrush alone- hence why a trip to the hygienist is so important.
Your Hygienist can remove this tartar layer before it starts to cause problems such as gum irritation, bleeding and bad breath. Without the regular removal of this tartar layer you are also at an increased risk of developing gum disease.
While some signs of gum disease are quite obvious other people can show no signs at all. When it is left untreated there is the potential for long-term problems including bone recession or tooth loss.
While you should always ensure you brush your teeth twice a day every day, the best way to help keep teeth and gums healthy in the long-term is to visit the hygienist regularly (around every 6 months) in between trips to the dentist.
Your Hygienist will offer the following services:
• They will scale and polish your teeth- professionally deep cleaning them to remove any plaque build-up.
• They can give advice regarding diet, cleaning habits, lifestyle and other ways in which you can improve your oral health.
• They help maintain the health of your gums- detecting any signs of gum disease
• They will help keep your breath fresh.
• They will look out for early signs of oral cancers.